By Angela Wills
Many people think you need to be creative all the time to be in a creative field. I don’t believe so. I know I do pretty well and I don’t think that creativity is seeping out of me. I think I’ve just become good at developing ways to find inspiration when I need it so I can create great custom graphics and logos for myself and my clients.
So here are five sources of web site graphics design inspiration you might not have thought of:
1. Down The Road – When you’re driving down the street have a look at the logos and colors you see in the businesses as you drive by. Most of these businesses will have hired a professional to create the graphics you see on display and they are great sources of ideas for your next product. Have a look at the shapes, colors, fonts and the feeling you get when you view each image. Consider taking out a video camera and video taping as you drive by with your own commentary (as long as you’re not also driving the car, of course!).
2. Newspapers & Magazines – I was at my local library the other day and I picked up a couple of local magazines. One was the town activity guide about local living. Each had plenty of graphics and ads that I could peruse for ideas and inspiration. Collect your favorite magazines or a selection of different types if you serve clients and you’ll always have plenty to draw from when you’re stumped.
3. Popular Websites – Of course you’ll want to look online for sources of web page graphic design ideas. If you’re working on a particular product then look up keywords related to your project and see what sites come up. Pay attention to the colors and the logos you find on these sites. Also many popular sites have ads that you can look at. The great thing about looking at ads is that people often have these professionally designed as well so they’re often great sources of quality ideas and inspiration.
4. Nature and the Outside World – Sometimes being stuck at a computer isn’t the best way to get inspired. Nature is filled with beautiful shapes, colors and materials. If you’re needing a new idea take a drive or go for a walk, you’re sure to come up with new ways to design web graphics that you never would have thought of without drawing from natural beauty. Now, you can also go to a city and draw on your surroundings for colors, shapes and of course plenty of marketing you see.
5. Your Graphic Design Inspiration Book – One thing I’ve wanted to do for a while is to create a binder filled with graphics that inspire me. Also, in this book I’d add a section for all the design techniques I can use to create different effects. You see, there are so many ways to create graphics that sometimes we forget certain techniques when we need them. I know that’s how it works for me, anyway. My suggestion is to get a binder and a bunch of clear sheet protectors and then just start collecting graphics you like. Organize them as you go into different categories to suit your needs.
Inspiration comes from lots of places and the five listed above are a good place to start. I’m sure as you become aware of your need for inspiration you’ll start seeing new ideas as you go about your daily life. Good luck and have fun!
Graphics shouldn’t just be beautiful, they should also be profitable! Join me as I teach you through live weekly webinars, email coaching, video tutorials, templates and more how to design web logos and graphics that get clicks and sales for your business.
Promoting Your Website on Twitter
Website Building Options
5 Hot Tips for Boosting Ezine Sign-Ups
Using Email Marketing as a Profitable Sales Tool
Tips for Building Your Email List
How I Made Money Providing a Service, You Can Too
How to Get People to Read Your Blog
Creating a WordPress Website
Tips for Generating Traffic to Your New Website
Important Website Design Features
Tips for Finding Affordable Website Design Services
Comparing a Static Website and WordPress Blog
7 Reasons Why WordPress Rocks for Websites
Creative Holiday Advertising with Graphics
5 Inspiring Custom Logo and Graphic Design Ideas
Creating a Unique Business Logo
Creating Web Graphics For Your Online Business
Turn Your WordPress Blog Into a Website
Tips for Building a Successful Affiliate Website
What You Need to Design Your Business Website
Customizing Your WordPress Website or Blog
Free and Easy Website Design Tools
Easy Website Design Changes with WordPress
Using WordPress For Your Business Website
Building a Strong Internet Presence with WordPress
8 Important Features of Professional Website Design
User-Friendly Website Design
Basic Elements for Website Success
Seven Qualities of a Good Website